 Animation / 504
Re: Brickswest animation festival: how was it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.animation
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:19:20 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Greg Perry writes:

I can't believe that they did that again (taped videos playing on a pc
monitor)!  My videos were a victim of this "process" at the BrickFest 2002
Animation Festival and I felt both embarrassed and furious at the way they
were presented - especially since extended efforts were made to play other
folks' entries in the e-format in which they were originally submitted.

Of the approximately 20 entries shown at BricksWest 2003, only 6 entries,
amounting to less than 12 minutes running time (approximate) of over 110
mintues total running time were shown in this manner. All, and I mean all
attempts were made to convert these animations from computer format to video
format. Since it was imperative that no films be shown through the computer, I
video taped them playing on the computer and then shown on VHS.

I have no choice in the matter. It is simply a matter of incompatible systems,
CODECs, and software. While I can appreciate the casternation that this causes
the animators, I know of no way to do this without some compromise. I can
require only video tape submission, but this greatly increases the cost of
shipment and completion for the animators. I myslef am limited in both the
technical skills I posses and the amount of equipment I can afford.

This inept public display of my videos prejudiced me against even
considering the BricksWest competition.  I had understood though that the
organizer(s) had come up with a method for converting all entries to
videotape so I thought that at least the entrants would be provided with an
adequate display of their work this time.  Guess not huh?

I am sorry you felt this way, Greg. I wish you had said something sooner. It
has been 9 months since your animation won at BrickFest 2002, and I wish we
could have spoken sooner about your prejudice and trepidation. It might have
influenced the way I conducted the BricksWest 2003 competition.

Now I'll have to think long and hard about whether I want to chance another
public mangling of my work (since it appears that's still the SOP) by
entering the BrickFest 2003 competition.

Greg

Greg, there has been no formal announcement about BrickFest 2003 Animation
Festival or the operating procedure under which the competition will be run. I
am hoping to take all of the constructive criticism leveled at me and re-shape
the competition to support the best means of presenting everyone's work. I have
learned from this latest competition that I never want to deal with anything
other than video again. I have also learned from you and others that we want to
avoid videotaping the computer screen to convert computer files to video.

Please if you have any suggestions I am more than willing to listen to anything
you have to say and consider it. I started this because I thought animators
like yourself should have a public forum for having your work presented. I
never want to treat an animator unfairly or "mangle" their work as you have
suggested. I felt terrible about the way things occured at BrickFest and spent
a great deal of time sole searching about the issues that came up. I really
wasn't certain I wanted continue supporting animators, and if my support is not
welcome, I will move on to other things.

Sincerely,

Todd