 Events / BricksWest / 691
Re: Brickswest animation festival: how was it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.animation
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:12:53 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Greg Perry writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Adrian Egli writes:
One thing that really got me was the formatting of the ani itself.  Before
presentation it was mentioned that some of the movies submitted (QT and
Windows Media) had to be filmed off a monitor to be shown on tape and that
IMO degraded some of the image quality.  You couldn't see the monitor itself
but could make out it was being recorded off the screen of one.

I can't believe that they did that again (taped videos playing on a pc
monitor)!  My videos were a victim of this "process" at the BrickFest 2002
Animation Festival and I felt both embarrassed and furious at the way they
were presented - especially since extended efforts were made to play other
folks' entries in the e-format in which they were originally submitted.

This inept public display of my videos prejudiced me against even
considering the BricksWest competition.  I had understood though that the
organizer(s) had come up with a method for converting all entries to
videotape so I thought that at least the entrants would be provided with an
adequate display of their work this time.  Guess not huh?

Now I'll have to think long and hard about whether I want to chance another
public mangling of my work (since it appears that's still the SOP) by
entering the BrickFest 2003 competition.

I'm sorry that folks are upset at the videotaping process but as a non
animator I was very very glad it was done. I'd rather see a videotape, even
at degraded quality, instead of seeing someone struggle to play an
animation, spending several minutes of valuable conference time doing it,
and ultimately failing. The failure to display animations in a timely manner
was my biggest frustration with BF. The very biggest. Not the biggest
frustration with the animation track, but biggest overall.

If you don't like filmed screens my suggestion would be this:

- the animation contest organizer picks ONE file format that he know works
on his machine. Everyone HAS to conform, regardless of what platform they
come from. If it's not their preferred format, tough.

- OR -

- the animation contest organizer mandates that everyone send a VHS tape
with their animation on it, and he transfers all of them over to a single
tape that runs uninteruptedly. If that transfer results in degradation, tough.

Those both solve the problem and both give a level playing field (more or less)

I guess I will say that while I had issues with how the animation section of
BW was run, and I shared those issues with the appropriate people, I don't
understand the level of frustration and public vituperativeness that's being
evinced by the participants. One participant is calling other entrants
names, another is trashing the organizer, another saying they won't enter
again, etc. etc. etc.

The BricksWest newsgroup is going to be read by a lot of people, many of
them mundanes. Is this the perception that the animation community wants to
leave with everyone else? Organising a conference track is really hard.
Organising a contest is really hard too. A conference track that is a
contest in its own right is about as thankless as you can get.

Todd's presumably not doing it because he hates everyone or because he wants
everyone to get mad. He's doing it because he wants to give back to the
community and because it needs to get done. Perhaps BF '03 will have to find
another organizer, if I were Todd I don't think I'd have enough love left to
volunteer again.