 Adventurers / 18
Re: My favorite Adventurer sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:40:25 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, David Eaton writes:

{SNIP}

I think the qualm with the guns isn't really the pieces themselves tho, so • much
as their placement... As I believe, the guns on WWI planes were mounted on the
body of the plane as oppsed to the wing... I could always be wrong though. I
think that's the way it is with most guns, until you get to modern aircraft
that have missles, etc., mounted on the wings.

Being married to a WW-I aviation fan has its odd uses <grin>.  The weapons were
mounted above the wing in single-seat scouts (what we would call fighters)
until Fokker invented the interrupter gearing system that permits the weapons
to be fired -through- the prop-disc.  One can easily imagine the results when
it was tried with this gearing, and the equally, erm, disappointing results
when they tried using steel sheathing on the prop blades to 'shed' the rounds!

So the use of hard-points on modern aviation is sort of a return to
yester-year.....

Cheers,

Roger

...who has parts of full-scale Fokker DR-1 in his garage rafters.....