 Administrative / Suggestions / 890
889  |  891
Subject:
Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:14:41 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I've been kicking an idea around for a while, and I wanted to put it out to the
community:  I'd like to start an organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgendered (LGBT) AFOLs.  A lavender brick society, if you like.  It's seemed
to me that "family" participation at fests and suchlike has been very sparse,
and I'm wondering if it isn't the classic invisibility thing.  Wouldn't it be
cool if we all wore a little pink brick (or better yet, a lavender brick) on our
fest nametag, as a subtle little "Yoo hoo, Miss Tallulah!" to those in the know?
Call me an old-fashioned activist bitch, but it sure would make me feel a little
more welcome in the community.  Not that I feel particularly unwelcome--but I
have felt a certain disconnect from time to time.  A bit of visibility and
awareness would go a long way in my book.

In the larger scheme, I want to open a conversation about what it means to be
queer in this community, but I'm not sure I want to have that conversation in a
general forum.  I'd rather participants opt into the conversation.

To the administrators: Could we set up an LGBT AFOL newsgroup, perhaps in
.people?  I'd be happy to administer it.  I don't imagine it would be
particularly high-traffic, but it would provide a safe space in which to discuss
issues I (and I suspect others) find interesting and important.

Thoughts that pop into my mind:  Has anyone used bricks to make a same-sex
couple wedding topper?  We could post "sodomy alerts" whenever Rev. Brendan
finishes another Bible story touching on queer issues.  Don't even get me
started on gender representation in our hobby.  But many of us create
representations of entire societies, entire worlds.  How do we populate these
worlds?  Which stories do we tell?  This seems like rich fodder for all sorts of
analysis.  And look at other geek cultures.  Pick any sci-fi or fantasy
universe.  All participants subscribe to the same rules--or at least they say
they do--with expected (and unexpected) comformity (specifically,
heteronormativity), as well as noncomformity.  We don't have the same
restrictions.  The creative aspect of our hobby puts me more in mind of a
communtiy of artists or writers.  But they seem more serious, less spontaneous,
less likely to graffito a men's room wall.  The search for meaning in a
community is one of the Big Questions.

A few thoughts, anyway, that I'd love to pursue further.  Interest?
Administrative support?

-Teddy