 Administrative / Suggestions / 896
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:15:06 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Replying generally here both to Teddy and others in this thread.

I'm gay. Most people in my local group (VLC) know that, and they know my
partner, who sometimes comes and helps haul tables and setup or teardown at
shows just to help out, though he's pretty much a non-lego SO.

I'd be happy to see a group for LGBT people to discuss LEGO, though not
necessarily on LUGNET.

A group like this is useful for the same reason that LGBT concert bands, choirs,
softball teams, gardening clubs, book clubs, square dancing groups, churches,
RV'er and camping groups, swim teams, hockey teams, motorcycle clubs, water polo
clubs, wrestling clubs, (and many other sports teams and clubs), AA groups,
pilots associations, parents groups, students groups, etc all exist: because we
like to enjoy our interests among people who understand us, *as well as* out in
the wider community. Just as a simple thing, it's relaxing not to have to wonder
"when I refer to my SO as "he", what will the reaction be?"

Any LGBT discussion group on LUGNET would be subject to the same rules as all
LUGNET groups, therefore the subject matter wouldn't include sex, and the
discussion whould be family-friendly. If you think that simply the
acknowledgement of the existence of LGBT people, as evidenced by the existence
of a LUGNET group, is non-family friendly, then that discussion probably belongs
in .debate.

To those who say they can't see any need for it: I don't see any need for
lugnet.off-topic.geek, myself - after all, there are plenty of other places to
discuss generally geeky non-lego things - but other people do, and I don't get
to say it shouldn't exist. You don't want it, don't read it.

Kevin