 Administrative / Suggestions / 922
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:52:47 GMT

Apologies for laying low, but it looks like folks have chimed in and said pretty much what I would want to anyway. For those who are curious, no, I have never had a negative experience in the AFOL community. Y’all have always been a wonderful, friendly, accepting community. This is an idea I’ve had to get even more energized.

Cyndi, your “queens in the castle” are just a *teensy* bit different from what I had always taken the phrase to mean. Tee hee! (See http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=908) You’re awesome, Cyndi! Next time, maybe? I’m feeling inspired to illustrate scenes from Cashorali’s Fairy Tales. (See http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=908) Awesome stuff. And it’s all about the brick (and the perceived gender of the characters portrayed).

To all in earshot: If you’re interested in starting a (mostly virtual) LUG, email me privately at ewelsh at wsc dot ma dot edu . Some of you already have. We’ll talk about forming the org, naming it, etc. How would we define ourselves? I’m thinking along the lines of a LUG for LGBTers *and friends*. *And friends* means exactly that: however you identify, if you want to show your support by participating, you are very welcome. You want to help us build that yellow brick road? We want your help! (The only in-real-life meeting I can think of right now is an LGBT reception at a fest, and this is the only thing I can think of that would be of more interest to LGBTers than allies.)

Ditto for the newsgroup. This one would be even more wide-open. As this thread has demonstrated, there are a lot of issues we can discuss, a lot of cool MOCs, and a lot of people (mostly straight, by the look of it) who could contribute to the conversation. Not sure where it would go in the heirarchy--.org if we successfully start a group, .people if it looks like there’s more energy out there wanting simply a place to talk. I’m fine with either. I think a “no assumptions made about authors who post” disclaimer and a “safe-space” policy (that is, patently homophobic posts--of which I have seen none-will be canceled) would both be wise to put on the home page. And a no gossip policy. Please. (But can you believe how awful Miss Tallulah looks?) A weekly dose of smack might be called for, thank you Keith.

As for those unsure they can see a need:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Kevin Wilson wrote (among other things):
   You don’t want it, don’t read it.

Kevin

Well put, Kevin. For those of you who just love brick, don’t worry. I’ll cross-post my MOCs.

I gotta get to, um, church.

-Teddy

p.s. “Miss Tallulah” refers to Tallulah Bankhead, a fabulous lesbian film star from the 1930’s. If you are channeling her, please let me know. I miss her terribly.