 Administrative / Suggestions / 903
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:02:07 GMT

Hmm, interesting suggestion.  I'm a little confused.  Is this seen as primarily
for LGBT AFOLs to chat with eachother about LEGO, or for anyone to discuss LEGO
in relation to LGBT issues?  In the posts above in this thread I see
implications for both.

As a tweak on the second aspect, I wonder if a group for the discussion of
social and political topics as they apply to LEGO, as opposed to an off-topic
group arguing about social and political topics--perhaps
lugnet.build.sociopolitical?  Just musing here, but some topics that might find
a home in such a group include:
-the appropriateness or not of using LEGO to illustrate the Bible (Brick
Testament)
-the LEGO concentration camp display by that Polish artist (forget his name
right now)
-should/should not TLC use racially toned minifigs (a moot point now, but a hot
topic a year ago), and what does this say about race and toys?  Is a yellow fig
"white", race neutral, or something else?
-how are sexual roles depicted in the brick?
-how do children's sex/class/education/race/nationality/etc relate to what and
how much they build?
-the appropriateness or not of war toys / should TLC put out realistic modern
weaponry
-perhaps political cartoons or custom figs based on current political or world
events (I know I've seen both Saddam Hussein and suicide bombers depicted in fig
form)
-the use of LEGO to depict sex / nudity
-that thread recently on someone's "New Reich" military creations
etc.

Bruce