 Administrative / Suggestions / 1019
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:00:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've had time to read and reread and reread this post and I'd like to add a
few comments further, if I may.

"Teddy Welsh" <ewelsh@wsc.ma.edu> wrote in message
I've been kicking an idea around for a while, and I wanted to put it out
to the
community:  I'd like to start an organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and
transgendered (LGBT) AFOLs.  A lavender brick society, if you like.  It's
seemed
to me that "family" participation at fests and suchlike has been very
sparse,
and I'm wondering if it isn't the classic invisibility thing.  Wouldn't it
be
cool if we all wore a little pink brick (or better yet, a lavender brick)
on our
fest nametag, as a subtle little "Yoo hoo, Miss Tallulah!" to those in the
know?
Call me an old-fashioned activist bitch, but it sure would make me feel a
little
more welcome in the community.  Not that I feel particularly
unwelcome--but I
have felt a certain disconnect from time to time.  A bit of visibility and
awareness would go a long way in my book.

No one is unwelcome at Lugnet, not even Richard (sorry, had to throw that
in - hi Richard!).  If you feel disconnected and and want visibility and
awareness, then build a great MOC!  Or start a LUG/TLC!  OR...

In the larger scheme, I want to open a conversation about what it means to
be
queer in this community, but I'm not sure I want to have that conversation
in a
general forum.  I'd rather participants opt into the conversation.

So what DOES it mean to be queer in this community?  Have you had troubles
obtaining Lego because of it?  Have you been scrutinized for a gay-themed
MOC you posted here?  I certainly had no idea that being queer was any
different from being not-queer here at Lugnet, especially when it pertained
to the LEGO community.

To the administrators: Could we set up an LGBT AFOL newsgroup, perhaps in
.people?  I'd be happy to administer it.  I don't imagine it would be
particularly high-traffic, but it would provide a safe space in which to
discuss
issues I (and I suspect others) find interesting and important.

There is no "safe space" in a public forum.  Just as you have the right to
post in lugnet.parts,modification, everyone (including me) has the right to
start talking about "on-topic" items in lugnet.people.lgbt (which I'd really
prefer glbt - no reason, really).  I have yet to see an interest and
important discussion in lgbt to date that could not have been addressed in
other NGs that would better fit the bill.  Post MOC's in moc's or build or
general and take discussion "being queer" to off-topic.  I'd love to see
some MOC's from alternate walks of life based on religion, politics,
ethnicity, even lifestyles.

Thoughts that pop into my mind:  Has anyone used bricks to make a same-sex
couple wedding topper?  We could post "sodomy alerts" whenever Rev.
Brendan
finishes another Bible story touching on queer issues.  Don't even get me
started on gender representation in our hobby.  But many of us create
representations of entire societies, entire worlds.  How do we populate
these
worlds?  Which stories do we tell?  This seems like rich fodder for all
sorts of
analysis.  And look at other geek cultures.  Pick any sci-fi or fantasy
universe.  All participants subscribe to the same rules--or at least they
say
they do--with expected (and unexpected) comformity (specifically,
heteronormativity), as well as noncomformity.  We don't have the same
restrictions.  The creative aspect of our hobby puts me more in mind of a
communtiy of artists or writers.  But they seem more serious, less
spontaneous,
less likely to graffito a men's room wall.  The search for meaning in a
community is one of the Big Questions.

I still think these issues would be better in other NGs.

A few thoughts, anyway, that I'd love to pursue further.  Interest?
Administrative support?

-Teddy

Rob Hendrix