 Administrative / Suggestions / 1021
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:14:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Rob Hendrix wrote:
I've had time to read and reread and reread this post and I'd like to add a
few comments further, if I may.

"Teddy Welsh" <ewelsh@wsc.ma.edu> wrote in message
I've been kicking an idea around for a while, and I wanted to put it out
to the
community:  I'd like to start an organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and
transgendered (LGBT) AFOLs.  A lavender brick society, if you like.  It's
seemed
to me that "family" participation at fests and suchlike has been very
sparse,
and I'm wondering if it isn't the classic invisibility thing.  Wouldn't it
be
cool if we all wore a little pink brick (or better yet, a lavender brick)
on our
fest nametag, as a subtle little "Yoo hoo, Miss Tallulah!" to those in the
know?
Call me an old-fashioned activist bitch, but it sure would make me feel a
little
more welcome in the community.  Not that I feel particularly
unwelcome--but I
have felt a certain disconnect from time to time.  A bit of visibility and
awareness would go a long way in my book.

SNIP

In the larger scheme, I want to open a conversation about what it means to
be
queer in this community, but I'm not sure I want to have that conversation
in a
general forum.  I'd rather participants opt into the conversation.

So what DOES it mean to be queer in this community?  Have you had troubles
obtaining Lego because of it?  Have you been scrutinized for a gay-themed
MOC you posted here?  I certainly had no idea that being queer was any
different from being not-queer here at Lugnet, especially when it pertained
to the LEGO community.

SNIP

A few thoughts, anyway, that I'd love to pursue further.  Interest?
Administrative support?

-Teddy

Rob Hendrix

It's all useless.   LGBT people can't seem to feel accepted in society unless they subdivide themselves into therapy groups.  I'll still accept them, lavender bricks or not, and look upon their creations with the same eyes that see non-LGBT works.  However, if they only post their creations in LGBT, then I will not look upon them because I will not browse around in a forum that is created on the premise of group exclusion.

I'm glad this lady isn't that way about herself (WARNING--images my be
disturbing to some):
http://www.helpjacqui.com

She should be an inspiration to anyone who has felt the public treats them
unfairly.

Rob L.