 Administrative / Suggestions / 728
Re: Avatars?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:14:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
depends on the ease of turn-off-able-ness One click or less, retained from
session to session across whatever machine I am logged in on, and maybe.

What it it were (optionally) as simple as *zero* clicks -- automatically turned
on or off based on subnet?  That's how I think things like 'From:' line
selection should default (for people who have two e-mail addresses that they
post from).  If you're on one subnet (say, at work), default the selection to A,
otherwise if you're on a different subnet (say, at home), default the selection
to B, otherwise if you're on the road, default the selection to C, ... etc.  It
would have to be configurable and tuneable individually by preferences, of
course.

--Todd

Neat idea. not sure how well it would work for me though, AT&T (er, that is
Comcast) doesn't assign fixed IP addresses. and I am on so many different
connections in the course of the month (sometimes dozens, seriously) that it
would be an admin headache for me. Just one button to set it would be enough,
I'd just leave it off unless I was home.

But it might work well for others, so if it was one way of several?