 Administrative / Suggestions / 727
Re: Avatars?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:47:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
The mess referred to is at posting composition time. the posting box may need to
be changed to more closely wrap the line wrap???

Do you mean what's sent to the web browser via the <TEXTAREA> box?  That's
actually sent with WRAP=SOFT, which causes 80+ character lines to appear as if
they're wrapped, but they're actually not wrapped.  When the browser submits the
form, the server receives non-wrapped 82-character (for example) lines.

The problem that I've noticed is when someone accidentally types something in
the middle of a quoted paragraph and the browser text-reflows the whole
paragraph and submits the quoted paragraph as a single line.  Since the server
doesn't break lines that begin with ">", the results are terrible.  I'm thinking
that lines which begin with ">" *should* be wrapped if they're excessively long
(like 120 characters or more), and if they contain ">" characters from the
careless reflow mishap on the part of the user, the chosen breakpoints should be
the ">" characters.

Or do you know of other anomalies?

--Todd