 Administrative / Suggestions / 1306
Re: Request to move .mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:56:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Mark Neumann wrote:
   We (the curators of .mecha, Mark Neumann and Eric Sophie) have been talking for a while amongst ourselves about moving .mecha to a location that makes it easier to find mecha related stuff on Lugnet.

I am formally requesting that .mecha be moved from .build to .space to better reflect it’s nature and hopefully make it a bit easier to find. i.e. from: www.lugnet.com/build/mecha to: www.lugnet.com/space/mecha

Idealy I’d love to see .mecha even easier to find, along similar lines as .space or .general. But I also know that mecha isn’t an official Lego theme so it doesnt’ really fit there. And it isn’t a general thing so we can skip that. Mecha is often associated with space, so I am hoping that people searching for Lego Mecha related things would go searching there. If there could be a shortcut on the Lugnet Home page to .mecha, I’d be just as happy.

I am of course asking that all the sub pages that have been created for .mecha follow along with the mecha page.

cross posted to .space and .mecha for commentary.

Mark Neumann

Some informal, unofficial feedback. The admins have bounced this around a bit. As we see it there are 3 main options:
  1. leave mecha where it is, at build.mecha
  2. move mecha to a new top level group, like .trains (your request explains that
  3. put mecha under .space so it would be .space.mecha (which is your request)
There may be others but that was our read on the main ones.

There seems to be some sentiment among space readers that mecha doesn’t belong there. There haven’t been a lot of voices raised but there were some. Moving a group is non trivial so we’re wondering why the current arrangement is not satisfactory? Our tendency would be to leave things as they are, we haven’t heard compelling reasons for a change yet.

We agree that the curators should be encouraged to do crosslinking. A shortcut on the home page to .mecha (and at the same time to .vignette perhaps?) seems a good idea too.

That’s not to say that there might not BE compelling reasons for the move.

Again, this is unofficial feedback, which in this case since no final decision has been taken, ought to be OK.

My two cents here... I’m not an admin and this just my opinion.

If I recall correctly, Space gets it’s own newsgroup because it is an official subtheme. Mecha is not an official subtheme and unfortunately gets buried in the .Build newsgroup. I would recommend against changing this to preserve the existing hierarchy.

I would suggest that as a minimum, a link be provided between the forums similar to the SciBrick and Star Wars links in .Space. Frank made a good suggestion regarding the spotlighted posts. I think both newsgroups would benefit from a cross-pollination of ideas.

I would also suggest that Schleim be added to the top links in both .Space and .Mecha as both genres give birth to innovative building techniques.

-Duane