 Administrative / Suggestions / 1219
Re: Hmm, another suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:27:31 GMT

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:32:00PM +0000, Frank Filz wrote:
I know in the past, we have asked for user cancel of web posted posts.
I have noted that an NNTP cancel must be authenticated just like a
regular post. It seems like it would be possible to have a cancel
button in the web view that would generate an NNTP cancel and
authentication. Of course ideally, it would recognize at least a
logged on user and just cancel their post.

I would recommend setting it up so only logged on users will be able to
even see a button for canceling (only their) posts - otherwise you'd end
up floodding people with "cancel requests" :/

I did look once to see how we can associate a member id with a posting
setup.  Two ways I could think of making it work:

1.  Use the email address in the member profile to match to the address
    of the author of the message.  This would require that any change
    to the profile's email address be verified, of course.

2.  Add a field to the posting setup specifying the member ID.  This
    would make it harder for the admins though, since they will have to
    verify that the member ID specified is actually the owner of the
    email address.  Then again, they already have to do that with
    current posting setups.

Both would require a little bit of code, the first more than the second.
But once it's in place, the button and functionallity to cancel posts
via the web interface is already there - only currently it's visible to
"cancel-admins" only.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com