 Administrative / Suggestions / 1218
Re: Some suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:18:11 GMT

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:22:53PM +0000, Frank Filz wrote:
Ability to edit a post that is being authenticated. I often realize I
should have added something to a post just after I hit send. Since we
have to go through this extra step, why not add some functionality.

From a strictly paranoid point of view, that would be a bad idea.  Right
now, if I just randomly try auth strings until I hit one that's pending,
all I get is the ability to approve/deny what the original author wrote
(since the chance of me hitting a message I faked is much smaller than
hitting any random message).  But if we allow editing the post, I can
now change those author's words to be whatever I want.  So unless we
make edited posts shoot out another auth email (or require you to be
logged in), this feature would introduce a potential security risk.  Of
course, the risk might be deemed acceptable - I just thought I'd point
it out for consideration.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com