 Administrative / NNTP / 881 (-10)
  Re: A possible enhancement idea

(...) I agree that the web interface would be best for this. We're not trying to replace it completely, just to remove it as a step from each posting. If people had to fire up the browser whenever their key changes, I really don't think anyone would (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

(...) Thanks for clarifying that. You're right. English has three common levels, here... "could" - meaning it's possible, no expression of preference, "should" - making a suggestion or expressing a preference "must" - the imperative in which you are (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

(...) I think the issue with a reply is that, unless something specific was required to entered into the mail, it is too easy to put replies on automatic pilot by automating the reply with a rule in your mail program. As soon as you do that, you (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message news:20010620120544....ron.com... (...) there is (...) password. (...) but we (...) it (...) browsers? (...) So why not have the NNTP server check the id and password against the name and email address (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A possible enhancement idea

(...) I like that idea, maybe something like you have on the browser interface in "brief" mode, but with a button to view the entire message if possible, just in case the brief version isn't enough. ROSCO (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A possible enhancement idea

Hello Todd, thanks for outlining a bit of your current thinking: (...) One additional thought for that: Would it be necessary to show the full article? For me, just the title and the first and last few lines would be enough to know whether or not it (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

(...) Yeh, that's a problem with Germanic languages other than English--zullen/sollen/etc are modals that correspond to "should" yet "should" also has the meaning of kunnen/koennen/etc. But to make matters even cloudier, you *can* use "should" in (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

"Ray Sanders" <rsanders@svic.net> skrev i meddelandet news:GF8x71.8n7@lugnet.com... (...) slow (...) As you can see in my post above, MMV (12 minutes). Although I think 4.5 minutes is also quite a large amount of time to spend on one (or two) (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet news:GF8s97.GDF@lugnet.com... (...) Might be a language issue, then. The first Swedish translation that came to mind was not *suggesting*, but quite a bit more imperatoresque (word?). (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

while i understand the need for this system i think it would be easyer on alot of people if it (maybe as an option") simply did a reply send to verify the message instead of clikcing on a link, waiting for your browser to open, reading the message, (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact