 Administrative / NNTP / 172
Re: Help: Leading Spaces?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:28:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
G'day Todd,

Over the past week or so I'd sent a couple messages your
way regarding an intermittent posting problem using the
web interface.  I hadn't received a reply, but I guess
you've been sick/busy.  But anyhow, I have since been
able to get a better description of the problem:

If I try to post/preview a message that has any line
beginning with spaces, my internet connection hangs.
The browser goes unresponsive, I can no longer check
email, and sometimes it drops carrier.  The only way
to fix it is to disconnect and reconnect.  If I
remove the leading spaces from my message text, it
posts okay.

Any ideas?  I never used to have this problem.  The
only thing that has changed is I am currently "roaming"
using a dial-up 56k connection, rather than my
usual DSL connection.

When you say "intermittent," do you mean that it happens sometimes but
not all the time?

What do you mean by "leading spaces"?  Do you mean lines that begin with
space characters (i.e., ASCII #32) or do you mean whole blank lines?

About how many spaces are you putting in?

Approximately what date & time did you last see this?  The system logs might
tell me something.

It sounds like it's something on your end, however -- if it were just a
server problem, your internet connection wouldn't hang.  At most, your browser
would keep its hourglass cursor until you clicked "Stop" and it certainly
wouldn't drop carrier.

--Todd