 Administrative / NNTP / 1454
  Followup-To, ex post facto

I have implemented a web interface feature which allows an news admin* to apply a slight change to a news article: If for some reason the 'Followup-To' header on a post was set incorrectly, or was left empty when it should have been set, this can (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.announce) !

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) <snip> Thanks, Todd, this feature is most welcome. I've found the upswing in FUT "corralling" somewhat off-putting (to the point that I've limited my participation with Lugnet). Now, hopefully we can spend less time talking about meta-data and (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) This is a great addition to the community. It's better than your typical moderation, which kills the discussion entirely. Hopefully people will have an easier time ignoring discussions they don't want to see, because they will be moved to the (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) By the way - does it actually move the posts, or just sets the FUT on them? From what I can see, posts that were "corrected" are still in their original newsgroups? Also, I guess a blank O-FUT header signifies that there was no original FUT, (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto, or theory and practice of forceFUTting

(...) a FEW questions/comments. 1) This isn't a perfect fix, mail and nntp posters are not going to see the changes. 2) posts aren't moved, only the FUT is forced. Questions: Consider this thread: (URL) just forceFUTed the whole thread to (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) Thank you, Todd. I can think of a number of occasions in the past few months where this would have made lugnet a much more pleasant place to be. (...) Should we notify you guys if we think a thread needs guidance, or just assume that you guys (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) (Tim Courtney was just added to this list, IIRC) (...) Notification is *always* helpful. It may bring attention to something we overlooked. (I overlook things sometimes...) It will also validate that we're taking appropriate action. Depending (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) I agree, we encourage notification. It also helps taking the 'temperature' of the community - especially from people who choose not to participate in a hot thread but are irritated by it. This will help us know when to take action and when not (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)