 Administrative / NNTP / 1092
Re: Hi, I'm a newbie, blah blah blah
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.newbie, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 03:05:09 GMT

In lugnet.people.newbie, Paul Klenk writes:
I'll ask for help from Dan as soon as he untangles the site and programs a
registration process that isn't the single most hard-to-use process I have
ever encountered on any Web site, hands down.

The Lugnet registration process may seem clunky or difficult, but this is
by design and is intended to be complicated.  Lugnet was set up by
Todd Lehman because many people were frustrated by the noisy, useless,
off-topic posts and the endless bulk postings trying to sell stuff on the
old usenet newsgroup Rec.Toys.Lego.  Lugnet was (and is) a haven away
from that noise and one way to help keep the noise down was to engineer
a registration process that is cumbersome to use.

This seems to be working.  I am sure you can agree that there are NO
non-Lego Spam postings and no other junk or commercial posting by
outsiders trying to sell you home-equity loans or lure you to pornographic
websites, etc.  Individuals that make it past the registration process
are expected to follow the rules here or be sent away.

Things here are pretty nice except when members of the Lugnet community
make too much noise, break the terms of use, or just become a nusance to
the rest of us and otherwise act like jerks.  Think of Lugnet like a
Gated Community and you get the idea of what the Lugnet planners had in
mind for this site.  Lugnet is still private property and your privledges
to be here can be revoked or suspended.  Fortunately, the operators and
your fellow Lugnet community members are pretty forgiving and will give
people several chances to clean up their acts before being banished
forever.  No one has ever been suspended without cause.

__Kevin Salm__
...Over 20 years experience playing with Lego toys....