 Administrative / General / 9653
Re: CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:46:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
My concern in this paragraph is some inconsistency I'm perceiving.  Where • I
recall her not being concerned about this [particular word] before, but • now
it appears she is.  Is the standard the same for all?  I have no problem
adhering to a standard that limits profane language, just keep the • standard
consistent.

If 'a--' is not acceptable for LUGNET, I will not use it, nor will I • argue
the point.  But, shouldn't the standard be set and be consistent across • the
board?

unfortunatly, creating a "standard" like that is a very hard (if not
impossible) thing to do.  For instance, saying "This set is crap" is very
very different (at least in my mind) from saying CRAP x 12 in the title of
a post.  And getting worse as you read through the post.  Yes, it's
borderline, but if we let such posts get by, the border just gets pushed.
A reasonable guideline would be "if you need to think if your post is
acceptable, you probably need to reword it".

Dan