 Administrative / General / 9651
Re: CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:46:47 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney wrote:

I can't find the quote, but I do recall vividly you in a post once • claiming
something along the lines that a-- was not even censored on TV (and
subsequently didn't make a big deal about it being posted here).  I did • find
a couple canceled posts by you when I searched 'a--,' though.

I really don't think that LUGNET should have as low standards as TV does.
but that's besides the point.  I think if Suz asked it to be toned down,
that's the end of the story - why argue with it?  Did LUGNET become a
democrocy overnight while I wasn't looking?

My concern in this paragraph is some inconsistency I'm perceiving.  Where I
recall her not being concerned about this [particular word] before, but now
it appears she is.  Is the standard the same for all?  I have no problem
adhering to a standard that limits profane language, just keep the standard
consistent.

If 'a--' is not acceptable for LUGNET, I will not use it, nor will I argue
the point.  But, shouldn't the standard be set and be consistent across the
board?

Thank God LUGNET is *not* a democracy, if it was, we wouldn't have the email
authentication because most people were not familiar with the reason it was
put in place.  If it were a democracy, we would probably have a few
nuisances floating around still too.

Other than that, is there something wrong with Matt expressing his
frustration over this issue (note, *before* Brad clarified in his post
today)?  Is there something wrong with inflammatory language towards the
tribe and towards LEGO [1] - when it all boils down, Matt stating his
opinion?

when did swearing become the only way of expressing frustration?  I've no
doubt that Matt could have posted a message showing just how frustrated he
was without using a single swear word. Everyone is allowed to state their
opinion, afaik, but some ways are not welcome on LUGNET.  You want to cuss
and swear, go right ahead - but don't do it in Suz's sandbox.

That's OK with me.  Just keep the standard consistent so there is fairness
and no confusion over what is acceptable and what is not.

-Tim