 Administrative / General / 9645
9644  |  9646
Subject:
Todd, where are you? (was Re: **Auczilla domain has been hijacked for adult content**)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 01:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Gerber writes:

I think Todd would be the first to say that "we" haven't lost
anything...another case of his domain, his loss, his potential problem.

     Whether it was hijacked or the bill wasn't paid (on or off purpose), I
know that something is strange regarding AucZILLA's loss. My own personal loss
revolves around this important issue. I'm still waiting on items that I bid on
and paid for in AucZILLA XIV (14). Todd, if you're reading, get back to me at
Savannius@yahoo.com so that I can discuss with you the missing items. I still
have the e-mails from the AucZILLA server itself.
      Otherwise, I'm just sad that a great parts acquisition site is now gone.
Todd, if you'd like to discuss this at some time with the LUGNet (and AucZILLA)
users, we'd appreciate it.

-- James J.

In one sense I totally agree. We lost nothing. HE lost his property.

But in another I do not agree. While Todd has no obligation to anyone to
keep his domains owned, I did *indeed* suffer a loss when Fibblesnork went
away. I lost time I would rather have spent somewhat differently going
through my sites and cleaning them. It was rather time consuming as the link
was on every page. I expect the lost time on the part of (a lot of) others
was significant too.

So be it. The time was lost. Oh well. It's just like it was a natural
disaster, not trying to say it's Todd's FAULT, because as I said, he has no
obligation to anyone. ANY link we have could go stale the same way, with the
same lost time if it was that pervasive.

But my proposal is in the nature of insurance against lost time in the
future. My time is valuable. If I had known that Fibblesnork was going to go
away and I could have at that time put in 5 bucks to stop it, it would have
been worth it. I spent more than 1 minute on fixing the links, and that's
what my time is worth to me, 5 bucks a minute. Well, I exaggerate slightly,
I don't actually get paid that much. At least I don't SEE that much of the
pay anyway. But even if my time was only worth 5 bucks an HOUR it still was
a win because I actually spent more than an hour on the cleanup.

Now maybe we already suffered the biggest loss with fibblesnork because that
was the most pervasive. AucZILLA is mentioned on maybe a dozen of my pages
at most.  Much less pervasive.

Maybe no other nameloss can cause as much wasted effort for the community
and the effort of watching is too high for the benefit. I dunno. Just musing
here.

Helps explain?