 Administrative / General / 8481
  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) Certain bottlenecks are indeed standing out like sore thumbs. One big one is the dynamic generation of the /shop/ pages on guide.lugnet.com, and another is the dynamic generation of member-specific set lists. An even bigger one is (was) the (...) (23 years ago, 17-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) How about breaking down the member pages into pages split by first letter of first or last name, and by country/state? I'm not sure if your "caching" means keeping the indexes by each sort but it would seem this need not be true dynamic (...) (23 years ago, 17-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) I think it's more of a problem of having to have the page in memory (all 300k of it) while a slow client downloads it. Nothing much to do about that except make the page smaller - perhaps move all the FONT FACE entries to an all encompassing (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) It's (currently) a half-gigabyte index that gets indexed in realtime (once per minute). --Todd (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) Splitting the list into a page for each letter (or perhaps groups of 2-4 letters) or country/state would cut the page size down dramatically was my idea. Almost every time I've gone to look at the list, I'm either looking for a specific (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) How long does it take to generate the index? Can you subdivide the index at all (and do something like backup where you have incremental indices plus once a day or once an hour regenerate the complete index)? If some sort of incremental index (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) What about using a style sheet? Would that help? I admit that I am not sure exactly what level of browser for the big two correctly supports style sheets (I ought to know this since I have been using them a lot in recent web development (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) Zero time. It's done continuously as a background process. Once per minute, any new article is added into the mix. (...) This kind of index is more efficient to do as soon as something new appears, as opposed to a kind of index where content (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) Yikes! Holy speculation, Batman! Thanks, but no thanks! Guys, this is nice and all, but you're guessing way off in left field. On the pages I was talking about, the actual webpage is not held in memory -- ever -- it's written directly to a (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) No need to get snippy. We're just trying to help. We don't have access to the source or even the design documentation so all we can do is speculate based on what you say, and if our speculation is wide of the mark, so be it. It's not our (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) I'm sorry. I know. You're right. It just always happens. Someone says something vague, someone else guesses something about it, someone else adds another guess, someone else adds another guess, and before you know it, everything's way off (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) Sorry for having contributed to wasted bandwidth, though I do hope you will give some thought to the ideas of splitting up the members list as I had suggested, and some kind of "recentness" limit to the search, though I realize that the (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: News search function temporarily disabled

(...) Yes, definitely! And the flags can link to country pages that list just the people in the country. (...) It actually won't incur extra overhead (amazingly, it will actually reduce overhead) to restrict things to hard or soft time ranges, so (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)