 Administrative / General / 8313
Re: Server freakage today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:48:30 GMT

"Lars C. Hassing" <lch@ccieurope.com> wrote in message
news:974106662.774732@ns.cci.dk...

[snip]

Two or more slashes - well, I find it annoying that I have to type any • slash at all!
If I type "news.lugnet.com/cad/dev" I get the answer:
  Oops!
  The page you requested does not exist:
  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev
  However, a similarly named page does exist:
  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/
What is the idea?

It's a convention. .../cad/dev points to a file and .../cad/dev/ points to a
directory. If directory browsing is not allowed the webserver serves the
default document in that directory.
Many filesystems do not allow files and directories to be of the same name
but if a filesystem does allow it, the '/'  distinguises between the two. So
the convention is to use the '/' at the end, so URLs are the same on all
kinds of filesystem-based webservers.

-Frank