 Administrative / General / 8317
Re: Server freakage today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:42:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher Lindsey writes:
Frank Buiting wrote:
It's a convention. .../cad/dev points to a file and .../cad/dev/ points to a
directory. If directory browsing is not allowed the webserver serves the
default document in that directory.
Many filesystems do not allow files and directories to be of the same name
but if a filesystem does allow it, the '/'  distinguises between the two. So
the convention is to use the '/' at the end, so URLs are the same on all
kinds of filesystem-based webservers.

Although it is a common, accepted practice to notice that .../cad/dev is
actually a directory, then redirect it to the proper URL.  For example, under
Apache mod_rewrite .../cad/dev is usually automatically rewritten (and
redirected) to .../cad/dev/.

True, but that is mainly because if no 'dev' file exists the webserver
assumes you meant 'dev/'. It's similar to that when you're typing
www.abcd.com[1] it is assumed you mean http://www.abcd.com/ even though
ftp://www.abcd.com/ would be a correct URL too but pointing to a different
resource.
Anyway, you are correct that it's common practice, but the LUGNET URLs
follow the guidelines.

The fact that LUGNET doesn't do this leads me to believe that it's using
some sort of ScriptAlias to rewrite the URL to a CGI script or somesuch.

I think so too (perhaps Perl instead of CGI).

But I'm just guessing about the LUGNET setup.  :)

me too :-)

-Frank

followups to ot.geek

[1] Just a dummy URL ...