 Administrative / General / 8308
Re: Server freakage today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:07:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Erik Olson writes:
Is it possibly related to someone address harvesting?

No -- the load from something like that would still be very low relative to
something like this.  Something like this is either a very sneaky DoS attack
or the server stepping on its own feet due to an internal bug.  I highly
suspect the latter.

BTW, the most recent outage (about a half hour ago) was caused by me trying
to reproduce the mess under more controlled and monitorable conditions.  It
started freaking out within 1/2 second of what I did, so I'm pretty certain
it was me.  I'll explain what I did to make it freak out when I'm sure it's
fixed.

--Todd