 Administrative / General / 8223
Re: Where can I get a Technic Space Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:16:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:

I'm DEFINITELY not sure I'd characterise that as wrestling.

No, neither would I, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't there the last time I was
at BrickBay- either that, or it wasn't obvious.  But since I don't look at
BrickBay much, it might easily have been 4 or 5 weeks since I was there.

Well I'm not sure how much more obvious than having a search box at the very
top of the first page you see when you come to the site Dan could make it
be... but as you say, you don't go there much. So maybe you shouldn't slam
it till you know it.

BrickBay seems "hands-down better" to me.

If you think BrickBay is better, why not just list your stuff there?  I'm
confused.

You're right. I will. It was silly of me to even put my availables in here
in the first place, although I was giving it a try.

As soon as I can figure out how to unlist it here without having to visit
every set to see if I put something in it or not, anyway. How do I view what
sets I've said I wanted here on LUGNET? How do I quickly change what sets I
said I'd be willing to sell here on LUGNET?

Speaking of obvious, how obvious is that?

Were you logged in to BrickBay at
the time you tried?

I wasn't aware that there was a login feature.  But why should I have to
log in to browse the available merchadise?  I can't think of another
online store that requires that.

You don't have to log in to browse. But you do have to login to manipulate
your own want lists. And you do have to log in to buy something. Just like a
whole bunch of other sites.

Strangely enough, Lugnet requires you to be logged in to manipulate your
want list too. Funny how that works.

By the way, BrickBay isn't a "store", singular. Nor is Lugnet a "newsgroup",
singular. That might be part of why you don't get why BrickBay is so
powerful a paradigm. It's a marketplace, not a store.

Isn't there a fee for listing through BrickBay (a la eBay)?  If so, why should
I pay an inflated price for something?  If $5 of a $50 set goes to the guy who
runs BrickBay, why not just find someone who's willing to let me pay them $45
for the set?

The commission is 2%, paid by the seller, not 10% as in your example, for
starters, and that 2% to me, both as a seller and a buyer, is worth it and
more because of how much the buying and selling process has been
streamlined. (I've bought more than I've sold, so far anyway, but I gladly
pay 2% more for goods I buy)

I *seriously* have often completed purchases with NO emails that I needed to
write, only one that I had to read from the seller, and one paypal payment I
had to make. No need for retyping or pasting my address in to give to the
seller, because it was already in there, since I'm a registered user.

By the way, I won't sell sets I list on BrickBay in "side deals" as that is
dishonest.

As you say, different interfaces for different people. Me,
I don't have the time to waste on that.

Geez, that's an awfully judgemental way to put that, don't you think?  I
obviously don't think it's a "waste" of time, and I wouldn't think I'm
any less busy than you are...

Doubtful. Seriously doubtful. You have *no* idea how busy I am, really, or
how much my time is worth to me, although I've stated before what it's worth
to clients, that's not a measure of internal value.

But yes, it's in fact a waste when someone sends me an email asking me if
I'll sell a metroliner for 150. A waste of my time, their time,
connectivity, you name it, all wasted. A shame, really.

we all have 24 hours in a day, after all.

Actually, some days I don't. Some days more, some less, depending on how
many time zones I crossed that day.

If you don't
have time to *SPEND* doing it, that's a different story.

OK, if you like: I choose to reduce wasted time, that is, I choose not to
spend my time wastefully. Feel free to continue wasting yours if you so
choose. You sound like the candle fan arguing with the lightbulb guy, sort of.

++Lar