 Administrative / General / 8216
Re: Where can I get a Technic Space Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:47:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Buyers who want this (or any particular set) are better served to use
BrickBay and put it in their wanted list, at least for now. Maybe when
Lugnet catches up to BrickBay functionality in this area it will be
different, but BrickBay is way ahead, at least for now.

Speak for yourself.  I have actually completed 100% of my inquiries (as a
buyer) made through this feature, at what I (as a buyer) consider to be a
reasonable price.

One way in which this feature is light years *beyond* BrickBay, IMHO, is
that I can look up a set I want and see who's selling it.  I haven't been
able to get BrickBay to spit that info out at me, and I have neither the
time nor the inclination to wrestle with it to make it do so if it can.

Hmm... I went to the front page, unclicked "parts", typed in 4525 in the
search box, pressed "search", and got....

...a list of 3 sites selling it, with the price each one wanted, how many
copies were available, what day it was listed, the feedback rating of the
seller (which I could click on to see the actual feedback), the shop
location, what the minimum order amount was, and the ability with one click
to add the item to my own wanted list if I didn't want to buy from one of
those sellers.

I'm not sure I'd characterise that as "wrestling".

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I tried it again with 5561, 4558, 6090,
and 6543. Worked each time. From that seller list, it takes only 3 or 4 more
clicks to where you've generated a purchase order, been checked out of the
store, and an email with the details of the order has been generated and
sent to you and the seller.

I'm DEFININTELY not sure I'd characterise that as wrestling.

So, different interfaces for different people.  Nothing shocking.  But I
wouldn't say that one was hands-down better for everyone.

BrickBay seems "hands-down better" to me. Were you logged in to BrickBay at
the time you tried? When is the last time you checked? Features get added to
BrickBay an order of magnitude or two faster than they do to Lugnet. Maybe
you haven't checked in a while, like say, 2 or 3 weeks...

But then maybe you enjoy a bunch of mail back and forth before you get to
the actual deal. As you say, different interfaces for different people. Me,
I don't have the time to waste on that.

I'll reiterate my request, add the ability to track pricing to Lugnet guide,
it's a baby step in the BrickBay direction, but a step nonetheless.

++Lar