 Administrative / General / 7769
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:18:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:

Some ATMs have a slot you swipe your card through. To some extent the
banks are going away from card swallowing. I wonder if they had more
cards swallowed by people not taking them out quick enough rather than
people trying to use a stolen (or found) card. I think actually, people
forgetting to take their cards is a significant problem, and the swipers
solve that problem by you not ever taking your hands of the card
(presumably you put it away while you wait for the system to log you
on).

The swipe-through ATMs are probably a lot cheaper, both to install and
maintain.  They don't have all the mechanical parts needed to accept and
return the card (ooo, reversing motor), so they shouldn't break down as
often.

Of course, not having to pay someone to deal with all the 'eaten' cards is
prolly a significant cost as well.

BTW, is LUGNET moving toward an ATM-style, card-based security system, or
is this just hopeless thread drift?

Steve