 Off-Topic / Geek / 2107
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:08:55 GMT

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:45:50PM +0000, Tood Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
I wonder how hard it is (or if it's possible) to DoS someone on PayPal.

easy - try logging in as someone (or yourself) 5 times, and get the
password wrong.  then ask for a hint, get that wrong.  then they'll disable
your account until you get a little note in the mail with your new password.
do this to some unsuspecting fool, and you have shut down their account for
at least a couple of week...

or at least that's what I remember of the (very) painful proccess of me
forgetting my paypal password...

Are you serious, or joking?!  (I assume you're serious.)  Egad, if they don't
also block IP addresses after someone does that, then it's only a matter of
time before there's a massive DoS attack against a hundred thousand or a
million random PayPal users.  And if they do block IP addresses after someone
does that, then it's only a matter of time before someone on a large service
like AOL systematically DoS's other AOL users on their shared proxy servers.

I am pretty serious... I don't know what safeguards they have in place... they
might have asked me some questions, I forget... I just remember, that a week
later, when I remembered my password, I still couldn't log in... and when I
contacted tech support, they said there's nothing to do until I get my little
note...

Dan