 Administrative / General / 7772
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:41:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:

BTW, is LUGNET moving toward an ATM-style, card-based security system, or
is this just hopeless thread drift?

Probably the latter. But maybe (tying threads together) we could have Todd
print a bar code that we swiped with our :CueCats to verify it was us (along
with a rather easier password that we had to remember) ??

Personally I think one should have to complete a small LEGO puzzle before
being allowed to post (1). I could do that faster than I can type in my
password.

1 - kind of a sobriety test like those puzzles that some GM cars had on them
as a technology demo (2).

2 - No, I don't mean the automatic door locks on the newest GMs. I can't
reliably figure those out on the first try even when I'm sober. Let's see...
Stop the car, put it in park. Try to open the door. It's locked. Funny, I
don't remember locking it, I was just moving it 10 feet down the driveway.
What the &(*&? Push the lock switch. Beep. Try to open the door.  Still
locked. What the ^#@$*? Take the key out of the ignition. Try to open the
door. Still locked. Push the switch again. Beep. Try the door again. It's
unlocked. Get out of the car. Push the lock switch. Beep. That means it
worked, right? Close the door. It's unlocked. What the *(&)? Open the door.
Push the lock switch again. Beep. Push it again just for the heck of it. No
beep. What the (*&$? Close the door. It's locked. Are those my keys on the
seat where I left them when I tried to open the door the second time? (&^&$%
#@%! Josette!! Josette!! What do you want Lar? Josette, do you have the other
set of keys? What? It's a rental car and there's only one set?

I exaggerate but you get the idea. Now you know why it says in my Hertz
profile "NO GM cars please, I rent from Hertz because they rent FORDS and
other fine cars, which do not include GM." Really, it does say that. GM cars.
Lugnet Passwords. Coincidence? I think not. (3)

3 - Sorry, I'm using ridicule here. That's not very nice. The LUGNET password
system is a fine system and it keeps us all safe from the hordes of wiley
hackers out to change our personal info to say we live in Dubuque and have 10
copies of airport shuttle, and then post under our name to market.buy-sell-
trade that we want to sell them for 10 dollars each because we think they are
lousy sets, and invite all to email with purchase offers or refutations of why
they suck.

I know I sleep better at night knowing that the probability of that happening
is way less than the probability that I will be hit by lightning if I never go
outside except when it's sunny and if I live inside a Faraday cage the rest of
the time. Don't you? (4) After all, those hackers aren't going after my PayPal
id because that just has money in it. This is much more important, it's LEGO
(r) darn it. Not just money.

4 - gollygoshdarn it, more of that sarcasm slipped out.

++Lar