 Administrative / General / 7768
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:45:45 GMT

I've been on a few BBSes, quite a while back now, and believe me, some of
the passwords that I came up with were quite alphanumeric, and rather
random.

A hacker's chance of guessing a random, or even semi-random, password is
therefore theoretically rather small.  This would make any kind of
brute-force attack rather obvious looking, and moreover, rather easily
traceable.  This therefore is a sufficient deterrent to would-be hackers.  I
would rather live with a sufficient deterrent to hackers than an
insufficient nightmare which keeps Todd constantly checking with law
enforcement agencies.

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.people, Joakim Olsson writes:
Hi there!
Excuse me if i am totally lost here...
Is it not so that a 6 letter password containing letters from A to Z and • 0
to 9, can have 36^6 different combinations and contains 48 bits in a • unique
order?
A binary value containing 0 or 1 in 8 postitions is 2^8, equals 256

36^6 is about equal to 2^31.  Maybe it was typical 5-character pw's that
resulted in 24-26 bits of true information...I don't remember for sure, it
was many months ago.  OK, yes, <calculator poking>  36^5 is about equal to
2^26.  Also, IIRC, I think many 5-character pw's were rejected during the
random statistical tests on grounds of being too short and simple.  Most • of
the random 6-character pw's went through OK.  Anyway, 2^18 is open net • hockey
and 2^24 is still not so great.

Thanks.

--Todd