 Administrative / General / 7767
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:34:12 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:G1F3z5.5Gs@lugnet.com...
BTW, if there were a way to let people voluntarily restrict the set of IP
addresses that they could access from (by somehow declaring these ahead of
time), then it would be a lot safer to relax pw checkers in those cases,
although it may end up being a can of worms if IP spoofing issues came up.

Well, some ISPs around my area at least go over a satellite link.  If
someone tries to trace the route, they will most often see me as coming from
the satellite link and not from my real IP that is my dial-up line.  Weird,
but that's what I get when I log onto IRC servers.

Hmm, question...  Anyone know of any dial-up ISPs that use caller ID in
combination with weak pw security to authenticate their callers?  I guess
if you could trust caller ID, you wouldn't really even need pw's at all • for
those dial-up accounts.  Of course, someone could crawl up the phone pole
with a laptop and make illegal calls from your phone line then.  :-)

Be a bit hard to find telegraph (telephone) poles in our country, mate.  :-)
We've got underground cables all over the place.  Still, I know what you
mean, someone might tap in via a manhole or some similar access point.

However, Telstra seem to take a rather dim view of anyone they find doing
that.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde