 Administrative / General / 7225
Re: Getting a password reset?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:11:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Thompson writes:
I wish that my filter and news-post-access settings would
follow me around from computer to computer based on the lugnet ID
and password.

It actually does now (as of about 3-4 weeks ago) -- to make it go, sign in
with your member ID+password and then fill out the forms (news posting setup,
skip-filter, news-by-mail settings) and they'll be stored into your member
record on the server in virtual cookies rather than in real cookies.  It's
kinda somewhat of a hack but it gets the job done.

Cool beans!  I love this "ask for a feature to find out it's
already been implemented" idea.  :^D

I love the brief mode!  I wish that there was a way to select
how many lines of text the brief mode would display.  Putting b3 in the
URL would display 3 lines of text per message, b4 would display 4, etc.

Since it's using a proportional-space font and since it also doesn't know the
width in pixels of the column, it actually doesn't know ahead of time whether
it'll be displaying, say, 3 or 4 lines (or 2 or 5, etc.).  What it does is
limits the body of the message to something like 250 characters.  That limit
of characters is something that could perhaps be tweakable somewhere...

That would be *most* cool.  I really like the way the brief mode works,
with the suppression of quoted text and all that.  It'd be most cool to
have it as an option to be, well, a little less brief!

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"