 Administrative / General / 7216
Re: Getting a password reset?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 03:45:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Allan Bedford writes:
As mentioned in another post, I will simply continue to search out the
original password, as this seems to be more convenient.

Well, I think that you find turning your house upside down "more convenient"
rather telling. Todd and I have had disagreements about this in the past.
Leave it at that.

One piece of advice, once you do get your password reset or once you find
it... Use the facility to set yourself 1 or two more passwords that, while
passing the "casual" (as Todd calls it, although he changed it to "2" since we
pointed out that giving it a label was pejorative) test, are much easier for
you to remember. (you can have 4). It may take you 1/2 hour or so to come up
with a password that both passes the test and is easy for you to remember, but
hey, what's a half hour? (I rationalised it as that I was going to give Lugnet
(tm) 125 USD less than I had planned to before, based on a valuation metric
for my time that I use)  Note that finding the password entry place and the
password test mechanism is non trivial in itself.

nce you have those set, write them down in more than one place, so that if you
forget where you put it, you have another place to get it from. Or two. Mine
are written in several places in my house and one copy is stashed somewhere on
my computer (in a file that I will know why it's there but which a random
would not have any idea what it was for or why it had a few characters of
gibberish on 3 successive lines)

++Lar