 Administrative / General / 7215
Re: Getting a password reset?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:39:21 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in article
<Fy20EC.6GJ@lugnet.com>...
In lugnet.admin.general, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
Sounds like maybe you should automate it, and have a script-driven • requester
that takes the address of the user and then automatically sends the • password
to the registered address of the person.  The same way a lot of websites
handle forgotten passwords ...

There are, I think, two gotchas with this plan

1. There isn't really a concept of a "registered" email address, per se, • that
is associated with a user. A user can have multiple addresses. For • instance, I
have 3 listed on my member page: • http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=5
and I have a number of different cookies in force on various machines as
well.

But if I can get set up as a 'registered' user of Lugnet, then why can't I
set up a 'registered' email address to which  I authorize any
'administrative' emails to be sent?

2. While e mailing your password to you in cleartext is good enough for
ecommerce sites, and even banks and credit card companies, it's not • secure
enough to conform to the security standards in place here at Lugnet(tm). • At
least not as I understand them. Todd has expounded on why that is.

I've read about the security, but can't say that I understand the need for
CIA level counter measures being applied to a discussion oriented web site.

You may not
agree with the reasoning but it's his site and security is more important • to
him than convenience.

You are right Larry.  That is the bottom line.

But, as the old adage goes, "Just because something is possible, doesn't
mean you should do it."

As mentioned in another post, I will simply continue to search out the
original password, as this seems to be more convenient.

Regards,
Allan