 Administrative / General / 6985
Re: Clue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:47:04 GMT

Paul Baulch wrote:

Shiri Dori wrote in message ...

Nothing's *wrong* with either of the groups. But I would think it excessive
xposting, because I could be posting to tons of "suitable" groups. It • seemed
to me most appropriate in .org.cw, where Scar is well known; and off-
topic.fun, because it's a fun thing. But I see Matthew's point, it's "off-
topic for .off-topic". Probably lugnet.fun would be a better place. Or
something.

It sounds like everyone has forgotten what .general is for... oh well, it
does mean that I spend less time in front of the computer.
*sigh*

Actually, in some ways, I don't think lugnet.general is very necessary
any more. We have lugnet.build for discussing techniques. We have the
theme groups for discussing things which are of primary interest to
folks in a particular theme. We have lugnet.build.arch for talking about
constructing buildings. We have lugnet.announce for reaching a wide
audience when appropriate.

The areas of interesting discussion that we don't have groups for, which
I would see as minimally necessary before actually getting rid of
lugnet.general:

- history of LEGO (and things like what colors exist)
- what is this part or where can I find this part
- the new sets (from a perspective of what are they, when do they come
out, who has seen them, what nifty new (or not so new) parts are in
them. Obviously it's valuable to talk about say the latest Star Wars
sets in some place other than just lugnet.starwars because the sets are
such good parts packs.
- plain old fun with LEGO which can not be tied to any specific area

From the above, I could see the following groups being worthwhile

lugnet.history
lugnet.parts
lugnet.new-sets.xxxx (where xxxx is the year)

One could argue that ANY post which is relevant to LEGO is appropriate
to cross-post to .general (except of course auctions for which a
specific exclusion has been extended, and other market related posts
because we are trending towards a specific exclusion of any market posts
outside the market and org hierarchies). If people actually did this,
lugnet.general would be almost impossible to read. Because of this, my
inclination is to see groups created for any area of discussion interest
which has any volume, and at least limit .general to discussion which
has no good place to happen (and just because you've just built a castle
like building for your train setup doesn't mean discussion of that
should occur in lugnet.general, the discussion can exist as a discussion
cross-posted between lugnet.trains and lugnet.castle).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com