 Administrative / General / 652
651  |  653
Subject:
time/date stamp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:19:24 GMT

I am both horribly unobservant and lazy.  This first is indicated by the fact
that I didn't notice that the time stamps are generated (apparantly) by the
local time of the post.  The later may be determined by the fact that I haven't
dug into the back messages to see if someone answered this question.

Why?  It strikes me as more useful to have the date/time stamp generated by the
server, giving a consistent format, rather than the current rather jumbled
state.  I quite happily admit that to most people it would be irrelevant, but
for me, at least, it can be mildly confusing.  I track lugnet through two
different web services (work and home), and, obviously, which messages I've
read don't track from one to the other.  So, when the last gazillion messages
in a newsgroup all have the same subject, it takes a bit to figure out where I
left off.
This is _not_ a big deal to me, its just a curiousity.  If there is some reason
for it, or if a fix is even remotely bothersome, the by all means, don't
bother.  I'm lazy, I certainly can't complain if people refuse to indulge it ;)