 Administrative / General / 5393
Re: DYA announcements in lugnet.shopping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:38:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:20:00 GMT, "Scott Smallbeck"
<scotts@contactics.com> wrote:

I am wondering about the clutter that is occuring in lugnet.shopping from
the many DYA posts.  I really get a lot of value from lugnet.shopping (Just
bought a couple of sets from NoodleKidoodle.com) but it was quite a chore
sorting through the messages from this weekend to find the real shopping
related posts.

I would rather see these types of posts in buy-sell-trade.  They are more of
an 'I have this item for sale' than 'companyxxx has 20% off of xyz'.

The funny thing is I think the last time people "complained" about
this the thought was they should be in .shopping rather than .bst.  :)

Emmanuel's posts are great--they provide timely information about some
good (and sometimes *great*) deals.  The community is enhanced by having
these posts.  I would rather the current situation (Emmanuel posting to
.shopping) continue, than risk having Emmanuel feel that he isn't
welcome here.

If I remember correctly, I was the only 'complainer', or at least I was
the most vocal.

<IMO>
Neither .b-s-t nor .shopping are appropriate groups for continual,
detailed, ongoing posts from a commercial seller.

.b-s-t is intended for fan-to-fan sales & trades, not continual
announcements/advertisements from a business.

.shopping is intended for *shoppers* to post about their experiences and
finds, not for sellers to post about their wares.

There should be a different group for commercial sellers who want to
effectively communicate with a large group of LEGO maniacs with money to
spend.
</IMO>

Just for review, the charters of the two groups in question:

lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade:
Community trading post, items wanted, items for straight sale (no
auctions), experiences, market analysis, etc.

lugnet.market.shopping:
Retail, mail-order, and online shopping: information, discussions,
experiences, analysis; FOTW's (Find of the Week), sales, promotions,
coupon offers; LEGO Shop-At-Home Service (phone/flyer specials,
availability, etc.); liquidation outlets, second-hand stores, garage
sale tips, etc.

Steve