 Administrative / General / 5050
    Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Richard Franks
   (...) Maybe it's just a coincidence - but for most of the times that I've looked at the front page today, it tells me more about what isn't being shown, than what is. I'd prefer to see at least four messages all of the time, with perhaps the 'not (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Richard Franks
     (...) Oh great - I just pushed it over the edge - what was 3 not shown is now 4 not shown :( I think it's a good idea, but the way it is just now, you have to hit one of the 'show me more' before you see what's going on, or what's going on but (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —James Brown
     (...) Yah. A smaller font would go a long way towards making it less jarring, but I suspect that the best (as in 'least jarring') solution would be to have the main page (and derivatives thereof) actually showing the number of messages it claims to. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Todd Lehman
     (...) Sorry 'bout that. That was a total accident -- never was supposed to be that big. I forgot the SIZE="-2" attribute in the <FONT> tag and didn't test properly. (...) Wouldda loved to've been able to do that quickly, but that'd require some (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —James Brown
      (...) immediate). Actually, I was surprised by how much of a difference the font size made. Rather than ripping up the guts and rearranging them to allow article hiding (unless you see a need for it?) - You mentioned the possibility of a cookie in (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

          Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Larry Pieniazek
       (...) Has it? I think one large thread here probably belonged there.. meanwhile the work of the council to get itself organized seems stuck. Frank keeps posting great summations and ideas and we're not running with the ball. (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

          Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —James Brown
      (...) Hmm. Well, in the great usenet tradition of "if you agree with it, don't post", we probably have consensus that Frank's ideas are good (but I'll have to go hunt and confirm, for myself). My questions (mostly for Todd) are: Have you got the (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.council)

         Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Larry Pieniazek
     Here's a kludgy suggestion which can reduce, but not eliminate, the jarring "missing" messages. I surmise you are fetching the most recent 4 messages and then supresssing when required. Fetch more. Stack the fails and take the first 4 that pass. If (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Todd Lehman
     (...) I wish that were easier to do. To do that would mean ripping the guts out of the insides instead of just the top. Easy to code, actually, but much harder to code for both viewing possibilities (shown and not-shown). It wasn't a design criteria (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Eric Kingsley
     In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman writes: <snip> (...) Much better by the way. I think that is what was bothering me before. It's not nearly as bothersome now. Before the screen was screaming at me that it was hideing messages. Thanks for fixing (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Kevin Loch
   (...) Yes! That's what's really annoying. Even with the smaller font, not having four messages on the front page is bad bad bad. Actually I'd like to see 10 messages on the home page, but four is fine as long as the number is FIXED, not variable. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Cleaning up the main homepage —Todd Lehman
   (...) Wasn't easy, but managed to do it. Was tricky logic because of the myriad of up/down/sideways +/- twiggles and top/bottom boundaries to worry about. Sorry for it sucking for so many days. Had to make the quick icky/ugly fix first, once it was (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)