 Administrative / General / 5061
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:52:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
Maybe it's just a coincidence - but for most of the times that I've looked
at the front page today, it tells me more about what isn't being shown, than
what is. I'd prefer to see at least four messages all of the time,

I wish that were easier to do.  To do that would mean ripping the guts out of
the insides instead of just the top.  Easy to code, actually, but much harder
to code for both viewing possibilities (shown and not-shown).  It wasn't a
design criteria of the coalescing engine that it be able to hide arbitrary
collections of articles on demand (i.e., through renumbering and actual
skipping).  Thus it (for now) hobbles along by hiding them, even though
they're there.

with perhaps the 'not shown' text in a smaller font above or below.

Sorry about the type-size mishap...I was in such a hurry to make the change
last night (cat had to be at vet by 8 a.m.) that I hadn't tested it on a Win32
or Mac system before cutting in the change.  (Nutscrape Navigloater for Linux
always displays TrueType fonts at 12-pt regardless of the <FONT SIZE=xxx>
setting, so I didn't notice that I'd forgotten SIZE="-2" until Suzanne noticed
it on her system.)

--Todd