 Administrative / General / 5104
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 05:26:33 GMT

Here's a kludgy suggestion which can reduce, but not eliminate, the
jarring "missing" messages.

I surmise you are fetching the most recent 4 messages and then
supresssing when required.

Fetch more. Stack the fails and take the first 4 that pass. If that
doesn't give you four, pop the failed stack and reinterweave them. (once
in a while you wil have to do that)

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, James Brown writes:
Yah.  A smaller font would go a long way towards making it less jarring,

Sorry 'bout that.  That was a total accident -- never was supposed to be that
big.  I forgot the SIZE="-2" attribute in the <FONT> tag and didn't test
properly.

but I suspect that the best (as in 'least jarring') solution would be to
have the main page (and derivatives thereof) actually showing the number of
messages it claims to.  I'm not sure how hard that would be, implementation-
wise, though.

Wouldda loved to've been able to do that quickly, but that'd require some
major voodoo rewriting (which'll prolly happen eventually but isn't immediate).

--Todd

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!