 Administrative / General / 4953
  Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

Sometimes I think I'm the only LUGnut who uses a newsreader to access LUGNET. I'm curious to know what percentage of people read and post to LUGNET via news vs. the web interface vs. e-mail. That is, what percentage of posts contain "X-Nntp-Gateway: (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) I use HTTP but I know a lot of people who use NNTP. Don't know how you could check what everybody uses collectively, tho'. -Shiri (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

Susan, I use Netscape Communicator 4.7 (Messenger - e-mail) to use LUGNET. I hardly ever use the web based interface. Scott S. (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) Ahh, something pleasant and geeky for the day! :-) Ya, I bet it could be done in one line of Perl too :) but I just used grep, awk, sort, and uniq instead because it was less thinking. OK, considering all articles in the system (as of a couple (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) Would it be greedy to ask for the last 20,000 and 30,000 (or whatever figures), to try and determine if there is a definate increase in web-interface usage, and whether that increase is peaking, or set to continue further? I'm not a stats (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) figures), (...) I think you want blocks of 10000 else you'll have to do the subtraction yourself. Better yet blocks of 1000, plotted. Should be a SMOP. (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) Well, I was trying not to be too greedy :) And in doing so I completely forgot to say thanks for sharing the stats - dunno why exactly I find them interesting, but I do! I'm guessing that the last x is easier to calculate than x to y, but not (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) Mmmm, yummy statistics, thanks! So my suspicion was incorrect overall, but sort of correct for recent posts. Maybe it's just that I read the newer posts, or that the groups that I do read have more web postings. If, as Richard F suspects, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) Another factor: over time, the web-interface has steadily improved,[1] while the news-interface has remained basically the same. So people are incentivized to use Lugnet from the web. Also, setting up a newsreader to get LUGNET takes a certain (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?

(...) I occasionally use the web interface (like when I follow a link to another post by accident instead of using jump to message in Agent), and each time I do I still find that I like my newsreader better. Granted I lose all the extra links on the (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)