 Administrative / General / 4248
Re: Help with slow nntp response
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:33:52 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Did I say that?!  I don't remember saying that.  I don't understand TCP/IP
deeply enough to make a statement like that.  I wonder if the high message
counts in some groups are starting to slow things down.

Using Netscape 3.01 at work on an RS/6000 with AIX 4.1.5, behind a
firewall, I do see some situations where a large number of messages in
the group slows down processing. It can usually be tied to a getting the
message headers for a group where I have scattered unread messages (I'm
not terribly familiar with NNTP, but either this requires multiple
transactions to get the various sets of headers, or it has to download
all the headers from the oldest which is unread, though I know it gets
newest headers first). Performance tends to be very variable. I put most
of it down to load on the firewall.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com