 Administrative / General / 4227
Re: Help with slow nntp response
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:55:17 GMT

Thomas Main wrote:
I have been reading the LUGNET groups since their inception using Netscape's
mail/newsreader client without any problems both at home and at work.  However,
for the last couple of weeks, it's taking an extremely long time for the
newsreader to connect to the lugnet groups and sometimes it is taking way to
long to go from one message to another.  Even while I'm waiting in the
newsreader, I can jump to the LUGNET webpage.

Fast HTTP response, slow NNTP response.  I bet if you can get new messages
headers in an ng, then you can load a message fairly quickly just after that.

I see this all the time.  If I take too long reading a message, something
times out and the next message takes almost a minute, sometimes more, to load.

Even when I post this message, I have taken too long in its composition.
It'll take a couple of minutes to connect to LUGNET.COM -- but the actual
transfer after connecting will be quite fast.

Todd indicates that it's not something on the LUGNET.COM end, but rather some
clogged router between you and LUGNET which has no problems with Web traffic
but takes offense at nntp packets.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Change is good, but you can't keep it in your pockets forever.