 Administrative / General / 4233
Re: Help with slow nntp response
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:35:55 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Jeremy, what newsreader are you using and how are you launching an NNTP
connection?

Netscape Communicator 4.7.

I can open an NNTP connection by:
- expanding the list of subscribed newsgroups
- fetching the headers for any given newsgroup
- opening a message
- sending a message

erm, I think that's all the daily situations that open an NNTP session for
this app.

What OS are you running?

WinNT 4.0 SP5

Do you see this from work and/or from home?

From work.  I hook into the Net via a T1 or a T3, depending upon the mood and
alignment of the heavenly bodies.

Are you behind a firewall?

Yes.  The local IS dep't. won't give any details about its detaills.  My first
suspicion was that our firewall was blocking or filtering NNTP traffic, but
then others have seen the same delays, so who knows...

What happens when you access the NNTP
server from port 1119 or 8000 or 8080 (as opposed to the default/standard
port 119)?

I haven't tried 8000 or 8080 yet.  119 shows pretty much the same behavior,
though.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Change is good, but you can't keep it in your pockets forever.