 Administrative / General / 3587
Re: .market.auction & crossposting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:34:31 GMT

This is one of those "there are many sides to this issue" things. I think
that Larry's intent is something that is reasonable. I also see the purpose
of the "no auction announcements in groups which don't welcome them", with
zero tolerance enforcement. The problem is that auction announcements are
such a slippery slope that letting even one through, opens the possibility
of the floodgates opening. There is actually one group where I think the
enforcement should be very soft, that is lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands. I
don't want to see every eBay seller who is selling clone bricks posting
announcements there, on the other hand, we don't want to see clone auctions
in lugnet.market.auction. There have been a few auction announcements in
clone-brands, and the level I have seen is something I would like to see
continue.

One counter thought on the slippery slope: You have demonstrated a
willingness  to come down fast and hard when a discussion is getting way out
of hand. It seems like you are setting a precedent which would allow
occasional exceptions to the no auctions outside of lugnet.market.auction
because if someone takes that as an invitation to bombard non-auction groups
with auctions, they will find themselves booted in short order.

Here's another example: what if someone happened upon a way to get a huge
quantity of classic space sets, and wanted to auction them off, and was
setting up a dedicated auction site to run those auctions. I suspect many
people following lugnet.space, who don't follow lugnet.market.auction
because the number of interesting auctions approaches zero, would love to
hear about such an exceptional auction site. Why not let this theoretical
person make ONE announcement to lugnet.space.

I think the key is that these exceptional cases should be exceptional, and
they should have only a single post. Now Larry's announcement is further
interesting. I think it has potential to generate discussion which belongs
in lugnet.trains. True, there is some general interest, but I think trains
is especially ripe for creation of non-TLC sets, and I see a lot of
potential discussion which really would only be interesting to train heads.
Now one could still make a reasonable case that that discussion should still
occur in lugnet.market.theory.

The biggest problem I see is like you pointed out, the subject. Larry
perhaps should have made two posts. One to lugnet.market.auction with the
current subject line, and another to lugnet.trains and lugnet.market.theory
which introduced the topic of non-TLC kits, and referenced the auction (even
by pointing to the eBay auction as opposed to the lugnet.market.auction
post) as reference material.

So in my opinion, I think the post was reasonable. I think that in part
Larry got tripped up because he is entering a brave new world. I think it is
reasonable to expect that when we enter a new frontier, imperfect things
will happen.

Just my opinions
Frank