 Administrative / General / 347
Re: My truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:03:31 GMT

Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

Ooh!  (As in Uh oh)  I just realized -- but don't have a solution for yet --
LDraw .DAT files posted through the web interface are going to wrap at 79
columns.  Hmm.

LDraw doesn't care if a command is on a single line or not.  Except
for comments (lines starting with a 0), which must be on a single
line.  Hopefully, authors are keeping their comments to a reasonable
length.

Hmm, so you mean its parser ignores line breaks?  Does it use sscanf or
something along those lines?

James wrote it in Pascal.  So it uses read() and readln().  If I
remember Pascal IO correctly, read() parses and returns the next bit
of input that matches the variable types passed in.  So if you pass it
a number, it reads a number.  I don't remember what it does with
strings.  But yeah, it ignores line breaks (except as whitespace).

More specifically, I think (but I haven't tested) that LDraw will read
as many lines of data as it needs to complete a command, and any extra
characters after the last parameter are ignored.

Steve