 Administrative / General / 3106
Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:24:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Todd Lehman writes:
...snip...
I'm 100% for it -- except for the word "teaching."  Here's why:  I've always
thought of "teaching" as "instructing" or the "pushing" of knowledge, while
I've always thought of "learning" as the "discovering" or "pulling" of
knowledge.  As much as I believe that people generally love to learn things,
I don't believe that people generally love to be "taught" things.

(Does that make any sense?  Feel free to disagree!)
...snip...

This is a brilliant insight.  I am not a "teacher" by trade (I also have the
title "Engineer" tattooed across my cranium) but I have had many opportunities
to teach small classes on various topics.  It took me awhile to discover that
trying to "push" information at students doesn't work.  You have to get them
interested in wanting to do something, and then get out of their way and let
them do it for themselves.  That is the best (only?) way to teach the critical
thought processes that can carry the student beyond the protective shell of the
classroom.

Failure to grasp this single Truth is what is wrong with the conventional
education system as we know it, in my opinion.