 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 217
Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 22:44:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

In lugnet.admin.general, tking@together.net (Terry King) writes:

Todd, Dave, Ralph,

OK!! This can work.

I like the simple .edu  (I was just grumbling, avoiding
the Educator noun...)  We're all learners and teachers.

I'm out the door to work on Mindstorms with my
Grandchildren! Be back this PM....

Todd, who can create a group on LUGNET???

Thanks, people!

I'll see to it.

--Todd

OK, getting closer.  I went more closely through a bunch of recent messages
here, scanned a few more papers, and thought more about what Seymour Papert
said in his talk, then culled what seemed like the core issues and wrote
down a couple newsgroup charters.  How do these sound?  (The two new groups
are marked with arrow below.)  How close do they hit the mark?  Anything
missing?  Any good places to apply Occam's razor?

CHARTER/PURPOSE:

-> lugnet.edu (group):
      Broad educational issues and meta-topics for teachers, students,
      engineers, classroom volunteers, mentors, hackers, hobbyists, kids,
      and anyone who wants to learn and pass along to others:  re-thinking
      school; "learning" vs. "teaching"; resistance to change; the future
      of education and how LEGO® fits in; learning how to learn; the value
      of playful learning, thinking, and designing; epistemology and
      constructionism; common glues which unite educators, hobbyists, kids,
      and researchers; other ideas which circumvent rather than patch
      current educational systems; etc.

   lugnet.robotics (group and hierarchy):
      Building, creating, and developing with added technologies: the
      LEGO® MINDSTORMS™ RIS, other programmable bricks, vision systems,
      bar-code readers, radio controlled units, research sites, microcode /
      embedded programming, etc.

-> lugnet.robotics.edu (group):
      Learning and teaching with robotics: LEGO® robotics in the
      classroom; reuse of old technologies and enabling learning about new
      technologies and putting them in viable perspective; collaboration,
      synergy, encouragement, and comradeship of many people sharing
      unique interests, relevant information, and skills; fusion of
      educators, engineers, hackers, hobbyists, kids, etc.

--Todd

[this is getting pretty far off-topic from NQC; followups to
lugnet.admin.general]