 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 207
Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 02:50:03 GMT

In article <000501bf2020$c8cbb960$0500000a@pro150>, "Ralph Hempel"
<rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:

Terry wrote

So, where should this discussion continue??  I do not find the group I • have in
mind on any current forum I know about.  It's not really bit.listserv.edtech
OR k12.ed.tech OR k12.ed.comp which are very Education oriented.  It's • not the
broadbased comp.robotics.misc (although there is an occasional education
question there).  And there is no LUGNET group I see with "educat*" or
"teach*" or "school" in it.  So, how about:

lugnet.robotics.teaching

I'd like to participate in this too. I'm an engineer that has two kids in
grade 2 and another starting K in two years. So I want to get things
moving in the right direction up here too!

Todd, how about it? A group for educators (or those who would like to
volunteer their time in the classroom) that discusses the future of education,
how LEGO might fit in, and other ideas that DON'T involve high-tech solutions
to the education system as it is.

I agree - a discussion group for teaching would be a very good thing.

One of the highlights of my NQC workshops was when one kid excitedly ran
up to me anxious to show me how he changed the program in the "exercise"
so now it did more things.  I'm in favor of anything that gets this sort
of experience in front of more children and in more classrooms.

Several times at Mindfest, us "Extreme Mindstormers" were complemented on
how fast we worked and how well we collaborated.  I think two of the
unsung heroes through all of this are Russ Nelson (for the mindstorms web
pages and lego-robotics mailing list) and Todd Lehman (for LUGNET and
bridging the mailing list into a much more manageable set of newsgroups).

During one of the education oriented panels, one audience member asked if
there was a way for the educators to get the same sort of collaboration as
the "extreme mindstormers".  The response from one of the panellists was
something along the lines of "all of my work is published on my site...".
This is a great start - by all means publish your own work.  But I think
there also needs to be some common glue to hold things together - provide
forums for communication, and provide links to everything of interest.
LUGNET is an excellent candidate for this.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com